Welcome  to the Queensferry War Memorial  Institute Website!

 

For over a century the War Memorial Institute has  been part of  the history of Queensferry and has been a welcoming venue for it's community activities.

 

            

               

                             A SHORT HISTORY OF THE INSTITUTE.

 

                                         1909--  the idea of a Liberal Club takes form.

 

                                         1911--    Lease signed by the new trustees of

                                                                     the Liberal Club.

 

                                         1914--1918---Great War; Liberal Club closed.  

 

                                          1920--  on 29th December, reopened as the Queensferry Institute

                                                       and War Memorial. 

 

                                          1939--1945--The Second World War.

 

                                          1986--Charity Commission Registration.

 

                                           2005  --Institute designated as a Grade 2 listed building.

 

 The building is in use most days of the week with groups ranging from dog training classes to a Slimming Club. The modest income from these activities is being --and has been--used to update the facilities in the building.

Among recent projects carried out  include the installment of a new heating system throughout and refurbishment of the kitchen.  The conveniences have been upgraded and a disabled facility has been created, disabled access to the building is provided by a ramped walkway.

Improvement to the exterior include a new wall, gates and railings and the scrub land to the side of the building has been cleared and landscaped providing a pleasant lawned area.

 

Further relevant info.

 

 The institute is a Grade 2 listed building and enjoys a central location on the corner by the  ASDA traffic lights in Queensferry.

 

The Institute has two rooms: 

1 }  large 8m X 16 m with attached kitchen.  Hall has wood sprung dance floor. 

2 }   meeting/activity room 7m X 10m.

 

Venue Capacity;  Institute is usually hired as a complete building. Minimum charge is £15 for  the first hour ; each successive hour is negotiable depending on number of hours.

 

                                                             

Large and  small tables available also chairs for approx. 40.

 

Availability  depends on existing bookings. Some day and evening bookings available.

 

Disabled facilities are provided by means of a ramp access to main building.

 

Off road parking on site for approx 30 vehicles.

 

The only possible negative feature is that there is no specialist  audio visual equipment available !!

  

The Institute is run by a small group of volunteers, if you are interested in supporting the Institute or wish to hire it as a venue for your activity, please contact the chairman.

 

  Chairman; G. Rudall.           Telephone- 01244 535200              email-grudall@hotmail.com